Captain/Major Thomas George Gibson(MID)

Captain/Major Thomas George Gibson(MID)

Born Tynemouth,Northumberland 1887.

Thomas George Gibson, son of Dr. Charles and Alice Frances Gibson of Harrogate was educated at Epsom college where he was a member of the OTC and rifle volunteer corps and later at Pembroke college, Cambridge. On leaving university, articled to a firm of solicitors and after qualifying became prosecuting solicitor for HM Customs in Leeds.

When war broke out he was a member of Leeds university OTC, and because of this and his academic background was offered a commission into the "Pals" as temporary Captain on 25th of September 1915 in command of ‘D’ company. On February 10th 1916, whilst in Egypt with the battalion, he was made 2nd in command of B company in place of Captain J.A.R Armitage who on February 7th had returned to England. Command of D Company was taken over by Captain F.H.Boardall.

In May 1916, he was given command of B company when it’s commander Major L.P Baker was invalided home because of head wounds.

Captain Gibson’s promotion to Major was gazetted on March 14th 1917 around this time he had taken home leave to marry to his fiancé Betty Cousins they were married at at St Philip's Church, Kensington,
two months later he was given temporary command of the battalion when Lieutenant Colonel Stuart Campbell Taylor took 10 days leave in England. His ‘mention’, along with Lieutenant Colonel Taylor in Sir Douglas Haig’s Despatches of the 7th of November 1917 was gazetted on December 11th 1917.

He served with the "Pals" throughout their stay in Colsterdale, Egypt, France and Belgium and was serving with the battalion when the war ended.

He survived the war without serious injury, being slightly wounded at Festubert on 26th of August 1916, when a German snipers bullet grazed his nose as he "peered over the parapet" (quoted from battalion war diary).

Major Gibson returned to the legal profession after the war.

He was present at the unveiling and dedication ceremony of the memorial cairn at Colsterdale on the 28th of September 1935, and remained a prominent member of The Leeds "Pals" association and committee member until his death.

Website Feedback

You can leave a message using the contact form below.
Enter the characters shown in the image.